July 10, 2015
It’s been a long, long wait since Season Three of BBC’s Sherlock, so when we found out about a new episode, we could hardly contain ourselves. Just one episode, and little news of an upcoming season? We’ll take it! And we’re sure all the super-fangirls out there will too.
First, a sneak peek of the episode, to be released during the Christmas season. Yep, ’tis the season never rang more true.
This was unveiled at this year’s Sherlock panel at the San Diego Comic-Con 2015. Now, we’re no Sherlock, but we’ve helpfully compiled a list of other important news about the highly-anticipated series. Make of it what you will:
- As you saw, the special episode will be set in the Victorian era, a departure from modern London.
- The Christmas special – co-produced by BBC and PBS – won’t be just confined to the TV and laptop screens around the world. News is that it’s making its way to the big screen, so we can expect them in theatres internationally, or rather, “select theatres”. We’re keeping our fingers crossed.
- There’s no confirmed release date for Season Four, and in fact, executive producer, Steven Moffat, says he hasn’t started writing it, though he’s hoping that it’d be out next year.
- However, we hear he has a plan for the new season. Some key words, if you will. In Moffat’s own words, it will “sucker punch you into emotional devastation”. Tumblr, you are warned.
- “Hello Comic-Con, miss me?” Ah, Moriarty reference, check!
- Nope, still no Doctor Who and Sherlock crossovers.
- Sadly, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Mark Gatiss and Andrew Scott weren’t present at the panel, but calm down! In case you missed them… they’ve prepared a special video message: