July 11, 2016
Just days ago, Pokémon Go was released; and it’s safe to say that it broke the internet, surged Nintendo’s shares and took over all our lives. The augmented reality game that’s free to play has gone viral, and it’s really not surprising, considering how most of us have dreamt of becoming Pokémon trainers ever since we were young. Owning our very own Pikachu? Catching a Squirtle? WE’RE IN. But of course, we’re slow to the game (as always); Pokémon Go has not been officially launched in Singapore just yet. You’re definitely not alone if you’ve been furiously checking the app every single day or even hour; only to be disappointed by how late we are to the scene. We’ll admit that those anxious cries that follow aren’t that weird either, it’s rather justifiable, really.
So the only way to wait it out – live vicariously through the fortunate ones from the other parts of the world. These are just some ways Pokémon Go has been dominating everybody’s lives; where catching a Pokémon precedes one’s priorities and everyday life, obviously. From creepy shared taxi rides to being motivated to exercise, everybody’s obsessed. Meanwhile, we’re still waiting patiently (well, not really) until we get to live out our childhood dreams.
1. You’re not alone when everybody’s just as insane as you are.
— lynch (@lynchetaa) July 11, 2016
2. It’s an obsession when you’re entering a police station to get Pokéballs.
3. Safety first, folks.
— Hel Gibbons (@blackic) July 8, 2016
4. Having to break into someone’s house to claim the Gym is really no big deal.
I kid you not, I just walked into someone's backyard so I could claim this Gym on Pokemon GO! 😂 pic.twitter.com/h03Q2QqUMz
— Ali-A (@OMGitsAliA) July 7, 2016
5. When catching a Pikachu is obviously more important than being kind to some adorable kids.
6. You know it’s getting out of hand when there are driving posters dedicated to Pokémon trainers.
7. The reason for the poster above.
— Greg Bennett (@GreggyBennett) July 9, 2016
8. Tired of random strangers appearing in your home?
— holmen (@gomezswifts) July 10, 2016
9. Pokémon Go might just be the most effective workout app yet.
So, for context, I'm a "bit" overweight. Something in the above 500 pounds range. Just got pokemon go the day before yesterday, but the servers were down the whole time. I was finally able to get online yesterday afternoon. I could lie and say I set an outrageous goal for myself and somehow managed to meet it; but really I was just trying to catch some pokemon. I could also lie and say I feel great; but no, All I feel now is pain. Didn't feel too bad while walking, but after sitting down to write this post, man is it catching up with me fast. I "can't wait" to find out how I feel tomorrow.