August 15, 2016
straight off the whirlwind madness of the fall/winter runways, we present to you the stuff you might actually buy – a treasure trove of bags, shoes and accessories in three of the season’s most exciting trends that ha ve got us downright obsessed. trust us, you’ll fall right under their spell too after we’re done.
CASTLE IN THE CLOUD
There’s no better time to indulge in some childhood delight – why, when we’re fully-grown adults, of course. We like a little imagination in our pieces, and this season’s fantastical picks go bold, in exaggerated shapes and materials that add a touch of whimsy to muted outfits.
- Featured: Dolce & Gabanna Castle Bag, Miu Miu Fur Slides, Minna Parikka bunny-eared sneakers, glittery Charlotte Olympia heels, Tommy Hilfiger braided jewellery
- Trend: Subtle fairytale-inspired pieces — Carrie K. jewellery, keyhole earrings and time gear lariat, that reference Alice in Wonderland
BLING IT ON
You can argue that glitter, sparkling sequins and embellishments never truly leave the runway, and you’re probably right, especially since accessories and handbags are the easiest ways to incorporate these into a look, but hey, they take on new forms every season. Perhaps to accompany the 80s revival of power shoulders and mini skirts, a perfect counter to the minimalist ease of the 90s just one season earlier, shiny surfaces seem the perfect accompaniment to bold, daring glam. Bring on compact box clutches ladened with rhinestones and sequins.
- Featured: Roger Vivier Sneaky Viv’ Crystallised Sneakers, Alexander McQueen embellished bucket bag, Saint Laurent embellished college sling bag, Gucci embellished shades
- Trend: Bag straps — Fendi’s Strap You line; Prada Galleria + Saffiano Crystal Flower Shoulder Strap
THE GOLDEN RATIO
Ever since we knew about the Golden Ratio, we’ve been fascinated by how this magical calculation of proportions, okay fine, pure math actually, can become a defining standard of perfect beauty. It’s all over paintings, buildings, and other visual arts – and now, geometry is just as important for this season’s accessories too. In contrast to the wildly embellished pieces, we sometimes like our jewellery sleek and simple.
- Featured: Gucci Gold Quilt Bag, Nicholas Kirkwood boots with pearl heel, 3.1 Phillip Lim heels, Mansur Gavriel peach handbag
- Trend: Art Deco with clean lines — Mulberry’s new line of contemporary jewellery