February 17, 2017
Hope on the Tube and explore four of London’s boroughs, via these makeup looks that challenge the status quo.
Look 1: Chelsea Glam
Towards the west of London lies the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, basically the English version of New York’s Upper East Side with some of the most luxurious residential districts, and major tourist attractions like the Harrods department store and the Victoria & Albert museum. Dressing up as your most glamorous self involves a flawless base, subtly contoured cheeks, with a metallic neutral eye and a glossy nude lip.
1. Blend the Lasting Finish Foundation over the entire face with a sponge or brush.
2. Dot the Wake Me Up Concealer under the eyes and then blend with the fingers, to both conceal dark circles and illuminate the area.
3. To apply the Magnif’eyes Eye Contouring Palette in London Nudes Calling, just work from left to right across the eight shades. Start with the lightest matte shades as a base colour, and then the shimmery metallic shades in the centre of the lids, before finishing with the dark brown shade on the outer corners of the eyelid for definition.
4. The Lasting Finish Soft Colour Mono Blush in Madeira helps bring out the cheekbones.
5. This one’s a Kate Moss favourite – the Lasting Finish Lipstick in Heather Shimmer adds some nude-toned shine.
Earring and jacket by H&M; and dress by Topshop.
Look 2: Rocking Out In Camden
Camden’s very, very cool. This northwestern borough is the heart of culture and creativity, being home to places like the Camden Market and the Dominion Theatre. We’d imagine roaming around the area and taking in all the varied sights in a leather jacket, paired with a subtle cat eye and a crimson lip.
1. You’ll want to keep your cat eye precise and sharp, and the ultra-thin nib of the ScandalEyes Micro Eyeliner will do the job.
2. Fill in brows with the wax from Brow This Way Eyebrow Sculpting Kit, and set it with the accompanying powder.
3. Add just a bit of definition on the eyes with the shimmery shades from the Magnif’eyes Eye Contouring Palette in Grunge Glamour, applied on the outer corners of the eyelids.
4. Dab the Royal Blush Cream Blush in Coral Queen on the cheeks, and blend with the fingers.
5. Finish off with The Only 1 Lipstick in Cheeky Coral, a warm red.
Top by H&M; and jacket and lace collar by Topshop.
Look 3: Spotted in Hackney
This is the place to be seen – with neighbourhoods like Shoreditch and London Fields, it’s an area where the creative industry flourishes. Popular with Central Saint Martins students and people from all over the European Union, this would definitely be London’s “hipster” district – so go ahead and experiment with more avant garde makeup styles, like this exaggerated blue eyeliner.
1. Start with the ScandalEyes Eyeshadow Stick in Blamed Blue, to draw an exaggerated cat eye. Outline the shape first, then fill it in.
2. Fill in the deeper blue with the Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer in Deep Ocean, drawing on a second cat eye shape on the upper lashlines, then extending to halfway across the lower lashlines.
3. Keep brows subtle by applying the Professional Brow Pencil in short, quick strokes.
4. Mattify the T-zone with the Lasting Finish 25HR Powder.
5. With such dramatic eyes, keep lips in a subtle nude tone, like The Only 1 Matte Lipstick in Salute.
Top and necklace by Topshop; dress (worn over) by Love Moschino; and coat by H&M.
Look 4: The Brixton Funk
An area with strong Caribbean influences, Brixton is famous for its markets, colourful murals, and a thriving live music scene. There’s plenty of character here, and your look should reflect that too with smoky eyes, bold, sculpted brows, contoured cheeks and a vibrant lip – just go bold.
1. Apply a generous amount of the ScandalEyes Eyeshadow Stick in Blackmail on the eyelids, and smudge all the way up to under the browbone.
2. To open up the eyes, use the ScandalEyes Eyeshadow Stick in Witness White on the inner corners of the eyes.
3. Smudge a bit of the ScandalEyes Gel Eyeliner in Black on the lower lashlines.
4. Curl lashes, then apply the ScandalEyes XX-Treme Mascara. The curved side of the brush adds volume, while the at side helps separate lashes without clumping.
5. This bold lip colour is created by mixing The Only 1 Lipstick in Under My Spell, a plum, and The Only 1 Lipstick in One Of A Kind, a rich red.
Top and necklace by H&M; and jacket by Topshop.
Photography: Chuck Reyes
Styling: Josiah Chua
Makeup: Ginger Lynette using Rimmel London
Hair: James Chiun at Leekaja Hairbis
Model: Andrea Chong
Rimmel London is available at selected Watsons. facebook.com/rimmellondonsg