April 26, 2017
If your eyeliner look for today (or every day, really) comes in a failsafe black that you’ll have to live with the entire day, from the office in the day to the bar at night, we say: there’s a whole world of eyeliners out there that you’re missing out on. A recent discovery for this year is Marc Jacobs Beauty’s Highliner Matte Gel Eye Crayons, basically the matte-finish version of the popular Highliner Gel Crayons that are new for Spring this year. In 12 shades that span neutrals to darks to very, very bright hues, they’re made for wearing on their own or, as a much more fun option, layering together.
Here, Marc Jacobs Beauty’s Global Makeup Artist Gilbert Soliz shows us how to bring our eyes from day to night with a few shades of the Highliner Matte Gel Eye Crayon, that you can easily slip into your bag and apply before you head out for the night. Now you’ll always be party-ready.
1. Brighten lids with a wash of Pink Of Me
. It functions as an eyeshadow base as well.
2. For subtle colour, line the upper lashlines with the shade Mist Me?
Blend it out with a finger.
3. Add definition by tightlining the lids with (Brown)ie
, by exposing your lash roots with your other hand and drawing it on in quick, short strokes. That’s all you need for a day look.
4. To kickoff the transition into something more glam, apply (Iron)y
on the outer corners of the lids, in a triangular shape. Smudge it out with a fluffy eyeshadow brush.
5. Take on the burgundy eye trend with Fine(Wine)
. First warm it up on the back of your hand, and then apply it onto the lids with an eyeshadow brush. Remember to blend well!
6. Do the under smudge with (Iron)y
, by extending it ¾ of the way through the lower lashlines. Blend with an eyeshadow brush afterwards.
7. Here’s an interesting way to add colour: draw on Over(night)
, an electric blue, on the entire lower lashline.
8. Using the Magic Marc’er Waterproof Liquid Liner
, draw on a subtle cat eye.
9. Finish off with a few coats of the Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara
on the upper and lower lashes.
From left to right: Pink Of Me, Deja Blue, Mist Me?, (Pop)ular, Fine(Wine), Whirl(Pool), Out Of The Blue, Over(Night), (Grape)Vine, (Brown)ie, (Earth)quake, (Iron)y.
Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Matte Gel Eye Crayon, $38. Available here.
Makeup: Gilbert Soliz for Marc Jacobs Beauty
Photography: Adele Chan
Model: Sijia @ Mannequin