Portrait : Adele Chan using the Nikon Df
Text: Adele Chan
Makeup and hair : Nellie Lim
The first time I met Nellie was on a press trip. She’s the kind of person that you warm up to immediately. She’s friendly, and she’s fun — two wonderful traits anyone could have. And I’m sure she’s having a ball now! She just got married over the weekend (congrats Nellie!). In fact, as she walked into the studio for this shoot, she was radiating with an infectious joy. And it’s so true that happy people glow.
I know Nellie to be a person whose Instagram is filled with mainly fashion images; but we all know that it’s also the makeup that pulls together the final look. She tells me that during fashion week, it takes her 40 mins to do makeup, but on a regular day in Singapore, she keeps her face pretty minimal. Sometimes, she wears no foundation at all (gasp!). As for her hair, it’s naturally wavy and she just lets it be. And unsurprisingly, even though she appears to be all about the fashion, she’s really a closet beauty junkie — like the rest of us.
This is Nellie‘s look and the products she uses to achieve it.
1. Pixi Glow Mud Cleanser
2. SK-II Facial Treatment Clear Lotion
3. Sand & Sky Australian Pink Clay Mask
4. La Mer The Moisturizing Cool Gel Cream
5. SK-II Mid-Day Miracle Face Essence
6. SK-II Facial Treatment Mask
7. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Concentrate Matrix
8. Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II
1. Benefit Porefessional Primer
2. YSL All Hours Foundation in BD40
3. Laneige BB Cushion Pore Control in 23C Cool Sand
4. YSL Touche Éclat in 1 Luminous Radiance
5. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Poured Highlighter in Champagne Pop
6. Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette
7. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper
8. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Double Dare
9. LANEIGE Eyebrow Cusion-cara in 2
1. TRESemmé Color Revitalize Shampoo
2. TRESemmé Anti-Breakage Conditioner
3. L’Oreal Professionnel Pro Fiber Recover Masque
4. Philips Volume Multi-Styler BHH814/00
Dove Beauty Nourishing Body Wash
What is the one beauty item you cannot live without?
“My Kat Von D Liquid lipstick in Double Dare! I have very thick lips, and if I’m not wearing any lip colour, I look very pale. This one’s a dark pinkish-red that suits me. It’s nice and long-lasting.”
What’s your signature scent?
“Givenchy’s Very Irresistible. Years ago when I was in secondary school, I read that if you use one scent for life, your body will start to smell similar to that – not entirely, but it alters the way your body smells. So this has been my base fragrance since I was 16. My friends who smell that scent will know “Nellie is here!” I change it up every once in a while, but this is what I use every day.”