Back in November 2018, I was having lunch at Greyhound Cafe at Paragon with the Singapore YSL Beauty team, and they shared with me the new launches that were coming up in early 2019 for the brand. I can confidently say that the lipsticks are the ones that will start queues (remember the mad rush for the Star Collection in 2017?).
There are two types of lipsticks — the Rouge Volupté Shine (a solid, but sheer shade that offers plenty of moisture and shine); and the Volupté Plump-In-Colour, a lipstick with a balmy texture that includes peppermint oil to plump lips, and a heart centre made of black pearl powder for supreme shine. We announced these just two weeks ago on our website here. Also, these new lipsticks really set the trend for 2019… while almost everyone is still obsessed with matte lips, YSL Beauty brings us back to better times where lips look healthy, classic and most importantly, are comfortable!
There are 12 new shades added to the Rouge Volupté Shine range (gold tube), and 8 shades for the completely new Volupté Plump-In-Colour line (silver tube). The entire lineup with descriptions is below; but before you stare at product pictures and try to imagine what they would look like on lips, here are four friends of NYLON I’ve invited to our office to model all the gorgeous shades!
PHOTOGRAPHed BY Adele Chan, USING the LEICA M10-P with the SUMMILUX-M 35MM f/1.4 ASPH lens.
Hannah Cheng-Bradshaw and CAMIRA ASRORI, makeup and hair by peter khor.
Fiona Fussi and Layla Ong, makeup and hair by dollei seah.
hairstyles for camira and layla created using the Dyson Airwrap styler.
YSL BEAUTY ROUGE VOLUPTÉ SHINE +
YSL BEAUTY PLUMP-IN-COLOUR
(tap on the images to enlarge)
- Peter says that these new textures are sheer; so to achieve the bold solid lips on Hannah, he applied three layers of lipstick.
- No lip liners were used in this shoot.
- The lipsticks were applied directly from the tube, and a lip brush was used to clean up the lip line and to blend the product on the lips to achieve an even, solid shade.
- Dollei says that for the Volupté Plump-In-Colour in shade 7 Furious Gold (as seen on Fiona), if you want the colour to pop, apply cushion foundation to the lips first to create a pigmented base, as the gold shade is quite nude and sheer.
- One trick that Dollei uses to get a solid, even shade, is to apply a first layer with a soft brush, and then a second later with a firm brush. This works especially well for the Volupté Plump-In-Colour in shade 8 Dramatic Plum, which is a dark shade but with a sheer texture.
YSL BEAUTY ROUGE VOLUPTÉ SHINE
LIPSTICK COLLECTION (12 NEW SHADES)
YSL BEAUTY VOLUPTÉ PLUMP-IN-COLOUR
LIPSTICK COLLECTION (8 SHADES)
YSL Beauty Rouge Volupté Shine ($52) and YSL Beauty Volupté Plump-In-Colour ($52) is available at YSL Beauty counters located at BHG Bugis, ION Orchard, Metro Paragon, Raffles City, TANGS Beauty, Takashimaya and Vivocity.