At this point in time, it’s safe to say that we’re all experimenting with new things while keeping ourselves occupied at home. For most of us, we’ve been dabbling with new recipes in the kitchen, honing our cooking skills that didn’t exist before the CB period took over our lives.
Whether you’re whisking your way to making the perfect cup of Dalgona coffee, or you’re trying your hands at making your own boba, you’ve to admit you might be one of them who’ve succumbed to the pressures of the online community. Now, I’m not shaming you, in fact, I’m just a prime example of one of them.
Prior to this, I had no clue on how to cook — instant noodles aside — I was pleasantly surprised when I actually made my first cup of Dalgona coffee. It wasn’t just drinkable but I actually liked it a lot.
But have you ever thought of combining the top two stay-home recipes that are trending at the moment together? Yes, we’re talking about having the best of both worlds. Enter the Dalgona Bubble Tea. You may have heard of our recent Cheese Milk Tea recipe but this bubble tea recipe is an upgrade. It’s basically what you expect it to be —your cup of milk tea with pearls topped with Dalgona coffee.
View this post on Instagram
[Giveaway included!] I asked you guys to challenge me with an ingredient for DIY bubble tea. I chose @garethfernandez's "COFFEE". So, what did I make? Singapore's first #DALGONABUBBLETEA challenge. BEING EXTRA. 🎉There is a giveaway at the end to get your own BBT set! To enter, 1. Comment below what your dream bubble tea is 2. Tag your favorite person. 3. 10 people stand a chance to win. If any of you make your own dalgona bubble tea, or create your own Nestea bubble tea, tag me so I can see your creations! 😁 Rumor has it that some of these may get additional prizes. Some suggestions for yum tea using @nesteasg: 🌟 Earl Grey tea + vanilla ice cream + a pinch of salt. 🌟 Green tea + passion fruit or mango. 🌟 Okinawa Brown sugar + candied ginger syrup. 🌟 Royal milk tea + coffee for YuanYang. . . . . Get these teas exclusively at @7elevensg. #BBTRECIPE #bbt #dalgonacoffee #boba #recipes #stayathome #sgunited #nesteamilktea #sggiveaways giveaway #bubbletea #circuitbreaker
Originally created by NESTEA in collaboration with food writer and influencer, Victoria Cheng, here’s the recipe to make your very own Dalgona Bubble Tea.
BOBA PEARLS — INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup tapioca starch
1/4 tsp black food dye (optional)
BOBA PEARLS — PREPARATION:
1. Add water into a pan on medium heat before adding the brown sugar. At this point, you can also add black food dye if you prefer your pearls black.
2. When it starts to boil, add half of the starch into the pan, and mix until you have achieved a sticky consistency.
3. Once it’s well mixed, turn off the heat and add the remaining tapioca starch to the mixture, and mix.
4. Then, pour the mixture onto a clean surface and knead it, ensuring that it’s smooth before cutting them into smaller pieces and rolling them into small round balls.
5. Taking a pot, boil twice as much water as the amount of pearls. Once the water is boiling, pour in the pearls and wait for it to cook and float to the top — which will take approximately 15 minutes.
6. Once it’s cooked, turn off the heat, add as much honey as you like to the pearls and let it rest for 20 minutes.
DALGONA COFFEE— INGREDIENTS:
— 2 tablespoons of coffee
— 2 tablespoons of water
— 2 tablespoons of sugar
DALGONA COFFEE — PREPARATION:
1. Add coffee, water and sugar into a bowl.
2. With a hand blender, blend the mixture until it forms stiff peaks.
DALGONA BUBBLE TEA — INGREDIENTS:
— Boba Pearls
— Dalgona Coffee
— 1 bottle of NESTEA’s Okinawa Brown Sugar Tea
DALGONA BUBBLE TEA — PREPARATION:
1. Add your boba pearls into the cup. Then, add NESTEA’s Okinawa Brown Sugar Tea into the mix.
2. Layer the Dalgona Coffee on top, and that’s it! Enjoy your very own cup of Dalgona Bubble Tea.
As a word of caution, if you’ve never made your own boba pearls before and it’s your first time trying the recipe out, I would say it takes some trial and error to ace making the pearls. So it might come out well or you might need a few tries but don’t give up!
The recipe is definitely the perfect go-to if you’re looking for a midday pick-me-up. It’s literally packed with caffeine and sugar, so you’ll be on a new high for the rest of the afternoon.
In regards to the recipe, I also particularly liked how the NESTEA Okinawa Brown Sugar Tea was incorporated into the mix. Not only does it taste as good as it sounds, but it also saves up on a lot of time when it comes to prepping the drink itself!
So if you’ve conquered the Dalgona Coffee or even making your own Bubble Tea at home, here’s another recipe to add to the books.
NESTEA is available in Okinawa Brown Sugar Milk Tea, Royal Milk Tea, Earl Grey and Green tea with Fibre. Available exclusively at 7-Eleven. ($3.40 for 2 bottles)