Whether you just stick to a simple lip balm or you have a 5-step routine to perfect your pout, we all want our lips to look good. Sure, in recent months, we’ve had to cover up with face masks, but now that we’re starting to socialise again, it’s time for our lips to shine once more.
We still have to wear masks while we’re out in public, but at least we can take them off when we enjoy meals in the company of friends. Wearing a mask doesn’t mean you should neglect your favourite lip colour — if anything, your lips will be the first thing people notice once we literally take our masks off. One K-Beauty trick we learnt is that lip tints are the way to go — they’re easy to wear, fast-drying and will last under our masks.
Here are some lip tints we recommend, sorted according to their functions and formulas. Whether you prefer a sheer wash of colour, a creamy hydrated look, nourishing oils, or strong, budge-proof colour, there’s surely one for you.
1. Sheer Lip Stains
1. LANEIGE STAINED GLASSTICK LIP STAIN ($34)
2. 3CE LIP MARKER ($25)
3. JILL STUART ROUGE TINT IN DREAM LIP TINT ($40)
4. BOBBI BROWN EXTRA LIP TINT ($49)
5. URBAN DECAY VICE LIP CHEMISTRY LASTING GLASSY TINT ($34)
First up are your classic, sheer lip stains. Ultra lightweight, these do exactly what you’d expect a lip tint to do — provide a subtle, natural-looking pop of colour for your lips. Despite the thin formula, you can trust that each swipe will provide just enough sheen to give your lips a healthy glow.
2. Long-Lasting Lip Tints
1. LANEIGE TATTOO LIP TINT ($32)
2. Dior lip tattoo ($50), available at all dior beauty counters and via HOME DELIVERY
3. YSL BEAUTY TATOUAGE COUTURE ($55)
For those who absolutely need bold, defined lips 24/7, fret not. These highly pigmented formulas promise an extra-long wear, almost like a tattoo. Lightweight and fast-drying, each product also comes with an angled applicator to allow for precise, controlled application.
3. Creamy Lip Tints
1. MAC COSMETICS VERSICOLOUR VARNISH CREAM LIP STAIN ($39)
2. HERA SENSUAL LIP TINT ($43)
3. DEAR DAHLIA PARADISE DREAM VELVET LIP MOUSSE LIP TINT ($46)
4. MOONSHOT CREAM PAINT STAINFIT LIP STAIN ($32)
5. BURBERRY BEAUTY LIP VELVET CRUSH SHEER-MATTE STAIN ($45)
While most lip tints can be rather sheer, this creamy selection will provide intense colour for the bold lip you desire. Providing a matte finish, each formula is buildable and highly pigmented, giving you everything you may want from a traditional matte lipstick, but with less drying discomfort and longer wear.
4. Tinted Lip Oils
1. CLARINS LIP COMFORT OIL INTENSE ($36)
2. NARS OIL-INFUSED LIP TINT (LIMITED EDITION) ($40)
3. DIOR LIP GLOW OIL ($50)
4. NATASHA MOOR VOLIPTUOUS HYDRATING TINTED LIP OIL ($46)
5. JILL STUART FOREVER JUICY OIL ROUGE TINT ($40)
For those who prefer a little more plumpness to your pout, these hydrating tints provide both colour and shine, and gives your lips the extra nourishment it deserves. These non-sticky formulas can be used as a lip treatment on its own or applied over any other lip product for some extra shine. If you prefer a more intense pigment, go with Clarins’ Lip Comfort Oil Intense, an updated version of their best-selling lip oil. Infused with nourishing plant oils, the formula provides all the colour and hydration you need for a shiny, silky pout.
5. Multi-Purpose Tints
1. BENEFIT COSMETICS BENETINT CHEEK & LIP STAIN ($31)
2. BENEFIT COSMETICS CHACHATINT CHEEK & LIP STAIN ($31)
3. BENEFIT COSMETICS GOGOTINT CHEEK & LIP STAIN ($31)
4. THEBALM STAINIAC LIP & CHEEK STAIN ($26)
5. RMS BEAUTY LIP2CHEEK TINT ($60)
Anything multi-purpose is a must-try in our book, and lip tints are no different. Why limit your favourite shades to just the lips? These cheek and lip tints come in handy, especially if you just need a quick touchup on the go. A light dab of these products on the cheeks and lips will quickly bring some extra colour to your face.
6. Hydrating Tinted Balms
1. FRESH SUGAR TINTED LIP TREATMENT SUNSCREEN SPF 15 ($36)
2. PHILOSOPHY LIPS OF HOPE TINTED LIP BALM ($28)
3. CLINIQUE CHUBBY STICK BABY TINT MOISTURIZING LIP COLOUR BALM ($30)
4. CHANTECAILLE LIP TINT HYDRATING BALM ($58)
5. HANDMADE HEROES COCOA FRIGGIN’ FANTASTIC LIP TINT ($6.90)
6. THEFACESHOP DR. BELMEUR ADVANCED CICA TOUCH LIP BALM ($20)
Some of us like to keep it simple, but that doesn’t mean we have to be stuck with a boring balm. These tinted lip balms are nourishing, hydrating and will give our lips a natural tinge of colour, just for that extra boost. If your lips are feeling extra dehydrated or even if you’re just having a low-key makeup day, these buildable balms will provide a lasting tint while giving your lips a little TLC.