The transparent fashion trend has been around for a while, but it has come a long way since jelly sandals and acrylic wallets. While transparent clothing may have been considered a fashion faux pas in the past, limited to clear rain coats and the occasional sheer sleeves, it has since expanded into luxury wear and surprisingly versatile accessories. We’ve rounded up a few of our favourites that we feel give the trend the justice it deserves.
1. MARYAM NASSIR ZADEH Silver-tone glass hoop earrings (USD146.87)
2. MARYAM NASSIR ZADEH Twist silver-tone glass earrings (USD95.02)
3. DRIES VAN NOTEN Perspex ring (USD33.96)
4. MARYAM NASSIR ZADEH Wave glass ring (USD108.56)
By far the safest of the lot, you’re probably no stranger to transparent jewellery. Whether it was the plastic rings you got in your kinder egg or the acrylic bangles you’d trade with your friends, most of us who grew up in the 90’s had probably dabbled in the trend long before we knew what the word “trend” meant.
1. Pomelo crystal style drop earrings
2. My Flash Trash Fashionable transparent resin bracelet ($35)
3. Mellow Transparent Ring Earrings ($59)
Go back to the basics with these clear jewellery options that go with literally anything — these subtle statement pieces will add a little nostalgia to outfit.
1. ALDO Clearly Transparent Wedges ($79.90)
2. Schutz PVC Transparent Black Block Heel Sandals ($58)
3. Nose Transparent Upper Heels ($46.90)
Want to show off your fresh pedicure? Go one step further with these minimal wedges — if you’re a fan of nude heels, these transparent options may already be a staple in your closet.
1. CULT GAIA Clio bead-embellished PVC mules (USD387.41)
2. CULT GAIA Alia Perspex and leather mules (USD414.74)
If you’re looking for something a little more unique, go with these Cult Gaia mules — their signature rounded heel adds a little extra dimension to these slip-ons, and the added bead embellishments and textured upper certainly makes these stand out.
1. London Rag Transparent Chunky Trainers ($69)
2. adidas Originals Superstar bold trainers with transparent panels in white ($108.29)
3. Acne studios N3W Transparent Trail Sneakers (USD450)
For all you sneakerheads, these transparent-panelled kicks make the perfect additions to your collection — but you may want to be careful not to wear any hole-ridden socks. London Rag’s subtle clear panels give you just enough to hop on the transparent bandwagon, while Acne Studios’ almost fully transparent upper is a sure way to help you dive right in.
1. Charles & Keith See-Through Effect Handbag in Red ($75.90)
2. Charles & Keith See-Through Effect Handbag in Black ($75.90)
3. Charles & Keith See-Through Effect Handbag in Blue ($75.90)
While not necessarily transparent per se, these colourful purses have just enough translucency to remind you of the jelly bag you always wanted growing up.
1. Maison Margiela Printed Clear Tote ($621)
2. HVN Rio crystal-embellished acrylic tote (USD116.09)
On the other hand, you may want to go with a handy (but expensive) clear tote to be loud and proud of what’s in your bag, or go with a crystal-clear acrylic purse that will definitely be a conversation starter. I’m not too sure what I’d put in the latter, but it would probably provide extra protection for your phone, right?
1. Replay bucket bag in transparent orange ($157.99)
2. Consigned grey transparent crossbody flight bag ($27.99)
For more casual options, these crossbody bags scream streetwear, and they make the perfect beach bags too. No more worrying about the sand or sea ruining your precious belongings — these transparent bags will help you keep an eye on your things while protecting them from the elements.
1. GAUGE81 Rio satin-trimmed silk-organza blouse (USD93.68)
2. HOUSE OF HOLLAND Embroidered organza shirt (USD54.21)
I’ve always avoided sheer tops just because of how much skin they show off, but if that’s the look you’re going for, these statement pieces will do the trick. Layer them over a simple tube top for a cleaner look, or your bralette of choice for a more risqué outfit. They make great cover ups for the beach or poolside too!
1. PETER DO Paneled faux leather and organza straight-leg pants (USD509.99)
2. Patchwerk PW14 PVC Transparent Pants (USD146)
Probably the most difficult to pull off, transparent bottoms wouldn’t be the first thing I’d gravitate towards. However, Peter Do’s panelled pants feature long pieces of semi-sheer organza that show off just enough of your silhouette without any risk of a wardrobe malfunction. Patchwerk’s PVC pants probably wouldn’t be the best idea as a standalone bottom, but layering it over a pair of straight-cut pants and tights provides an edgy and surprisingly fashionable look.
1. Swatch Big Bold Jellyfish Watch ($155)
2. Swatch Whiteinjelly watch ($155)
3. Swatch blackinjelly watch ($155)
While all watches technically have transparent faces, Swatch’s Jellyfish collection takes this one step further by making the entire device see-through, proudly displaying the gears at work. Clean and versatile, these futuristic timepieces will add a little analog, cyberpunk-esque vibe to your outfit.