Since we’ve graduated from our teenage years, um years ago, we’ve stopped buying fragrances from high street fashion stores. Call it snobbish, but there are just too many enticing options in the beauty world itself, crafted by expert perfumers mind you, so why would we settle for a pungent whiff of… Abercrombie & Fitch? Yeah, that’s a divisive scent alright.
As much as we love browsing through ZARA racks, we haven’t been as enticed by their scents section — till now. Jo Malone, of Jo Malone London and Jo Loves fame, is the sought-after perfumer behind ZARA Emotions, the new line of scents from ZARA.
With her knack for telling stories and evoking the most poignant memories through scents, it’s no wonder that British perfumer Jo Malone CBE was engaged to collaborate with the team at Spanish fast fashion giant ZARA, for an original fragrance line of 8 new unisex scents.
“Our first collection is inspired by the global heritage of both brands, Zara and Jo Loves, using ingredients that I have enjoyed for many years. Each fragrance has been designed with a personality and a voice that tell its story in a unique way. I hope you enjoy this first collection; it is full of imagination and art,” she says.
Names like Bohemian Bluebells remind us of free-spirited days in the outdoors, accented by lavender; Vetiver Pamplemousse sounds like a clean, everyday scent we can get by; while a whiff of the fruity-floral Amalfi Sunray should put you right in the mood for a summer vacation.
Here’s a quick look at the 8 EDP scents, as well as their key notes and inspiration:
- Vetiver Pamplemousse — Grapefruit, Mandarin Orange, Vetiver. “A spray of cologne on a white cotton t-shirt: the scent of everyday.”
- Waterlily Tea Dress — Bergamot, Green Mint, Musks. “The sweetness of a piece of jazz music in the air, a picnic on the grass, a floral dress fluttering in the wind.”
- Ebony Wood — Pepper, Clove, Ebony Wood. “That moment of freedom and carelessness when an adventure begins.”
- Amalfi Sunray — Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Orange Flower. “Happy souvenirs of a summer vacation in Italy.”
- Tubereuse Noir — Ylang ylang, Tuberose, Sandalwood. “The scent of tuberose is more luxurious than a pair of diamonds.”
- Fleur D’Oranger — Orange Blossom, Neroli, Ylang ylang. “We should always celebrate moments of happiness with orange blossom.”
- Fleur De Patchouli — Peony, Patchouli, Guaiac Wood. “Like a pair of eyes staring at you, this perfume pushes you to go beyond, to express your creativity.”
- Bohemian Bluebells — Lavender, Sandalwood, Musks. “A fragrance that breathes a Bohemian spirit, full of courage and hypnotic power, unlike anything you’ve ever smelt before.”
Just as well, the scents also come in candle form, with a ZARA Emotions Candle Collection that comprises of the following choices: Vetiver Pamplemousse, Bohemian Bluebells, Waterlily Tea Dress, Ebony Wood, Amalfi Sunray, Tubereuse Noir and Fleur D’Oranger.
You bet we’re rethinking high street fashion fragrances now.
ZARA Emotions EDP, at $14.90 (10ml), $39.90 (40ml) and $59.90. ZARA Emotions candles (200g), $39.90. Available at the following ZARA stores in Singapore — ION Orchard, Takashimaya S.C., 313@somerset, VivoCity, The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands, Changi Airport Terminal 3, Jewel Changi Airport.