Ever had a song pop up in your head at the most random point in the day — queuing for cai fan, for instance — and then having that tune stuck in your head for the entire day after? Oh, we have. For weeks. And it didn’t help that the songs were as catchy as the ones in The Greatest Showman, the musical-movie centred around circus creator P.T Barnum. Hum along if you have the soundtrack on repeat on Spotify too.
So of course we were inspired; both by the captivating pop melodies, as well as the extravagant sets and costumes, to put together a bunch of looks from our favourite musicals. From the Wizard of Oz-inspired institution that is Wicked (how good is “For Good”!) to the Broadway favourite rock musical RENT, show tunes definitely have a place in our hearts, so why not our wardrobes too?
The Greatest Showman
Who wouldn’t be mesmerised by this — a movie that dares to call its protagonist “the greatest” (played by magnetic personality Hugh Jackman no less), one that revolves around the showstopping spectacle that is an actual circus, while also boasting a chart-topping soundtrack? Sure, the outfits are a little showy for everyday dressing, but that’s the point! From now on, rewrite your own fashion statement with a military-inspired jacket or two, or dare to flaunt deep burgundy and velvets in front of any audience.
We also rounded up a few iridescent pieces that recall Zendaya’s high-flying character, as well as jewellery that reminds us of the swinging trapeze. Plus, they can say it all sounds crazy, but we’re definitely up for some holographic pops of colour on our eyes and lips too. Look out, ’cause here you come, and nope, no apologies alright.
1. Saint Laurent Spencer Cropped Jacket, $13,220
2. Pinky Laing The Ruby Military Jacket, £650
3. Monique Lhuillier Off-The-Shoulder Gown, $6,886
4. Pierre Balmain Military Jacket, $525
5. NastyGal Barbarella Sequin Romper, $21
6. Gucci Bow Detail Gown $10,530
7. Atelier Swarovski by Mary Katrantzou, Nostalgia, Triple Drop Earrings
8. Jacquemus Chemise Boutons Wool-Blend Blouse $715
9. Maison Michel Rob Top Hat, $807
10. BOY CHANEL bag in Purple PVC and Iridescent Leather, POA
11. Christopher Kane for Beauty and the Beast Solid Colour Blouse, USD958
12. Kat Von D Metal Crush Extreme Highlighter Palette, $55
13. Roger Vivier Astre Studs Loafers in Velvet, $1,660
14. Atelier Swarovski by Mary Katrantzou, Nostalgia, Wide Bracelet
15. Urban Decay Kaleidoscope Dream Palette, $65, available at Urban Decay stores
Gritty, edgy yet cosy; that’s how we’d describe the 90s New York City setting of the Broadway rock classic, as well as the style of clothes all the characters aspire towards, whether it’s a club dancer with the girl-next-door vibes, Mimi, or the feisty wild child that is Maureen. So if you happen to be outttt tonight, or any other night, here are the versatile pieces you should be acquainted with, all 525, 600 minutes of the year: rock-band tank tops paired with checkered pants, dark jeans, or heck, zebra prints, so your inner Maureen can go over the moon — if you don’t wish to tango, at least you’ll look comfortable when you hit the dance floor.
Elsewhere, channel sweet Angel with that bright red faux fur jacket, mesh and leopard prints scream Mimi’s flirty side, while a good old striped sweater or scarf is just classic Mark. Struggling artist, or human struggling to adult, all these picks are on the affordable side so you can proudly declare ‘la vie boheme!’ while still have enough money to pay for for tomorrow’s rent — or lunch.
1. H&M Vest Top With Motif, $19.90
2. H&M Drawstring Vest Top, $24.95
3. H&M Block-Striped Sweatshirt, $24.95
4. H&M Faux Fur Scarf, $44.95
5. Dorothy Perkins PU Biker Jacket, $63.90 from ZALORA
6. Motel Linda Long Sleeve Mesh Crop in Black, $22
7. ALICE + OLIVIA Kinsley Oversized Leopard-Print Faux Fur Coat, £780
8. Don’t Cry Denim Pants, US$99
9. River Island Black Coated Molly Jeggings, $42.90
10. Moschino Jeans Jeans – Black and White Zebra Print Jeans, $125
11. London Rag Soft And Comfortable Burgundy Fur Jacket, $49.99
12. ASOS 80s Zebra Print Sash Waist Belt, $12.93
13. Nine West Pointy Toe Boots, $175
14. Topshop Double Faced Stud Belt, $49.90
15. YSL Tatouage Couture Liquid Matte Lip Stain, $55, available at YSL counters
16. ASOS Fisherman Beanie In Black, $10.78
17. P.A.R.O.S.H Leopard Ankle Boot, $140
I heard it said some musicals come into our life, for a reason — as for Wicked, that has to be true because every song and scene is so darn good. The spinoff from the classic (and rather clichéd) tale of Wizard of Oz is so much more than that; in a nice twist, it calls us to question the “Wicked” in “Wicked Witch of the West”, by showing Elphaba’s true origin story, and is a touching ode to friendship, love and forgiveness that does the characters Glinda (the Good Witch) and Elphaba so much more justice. Here, we hope to do the same.
We can totally see Glinda, in her stylish glory, donning the starburst necklace and star motif hair clip with flair, and while a full princess gown would be less fortunate in most circumstances, this blue frilly dress will definitely be popular, especially if you top it with a perfect pink pout. If you’re not that girl, you might prefer the muted tones of a black lace dress and a wide rimmed hat, a broomstick necklace that defies
gravity convention, as well as a velvet drawstring bag in the shade of Emerald City — after that, you’re set for good.
1. Maison Michel Hat, US$193
2. Pinko Short Dress, US$224
3. Topshop High Neck Lace Midaxi Dress by Oh My Love, $126
4. Swarovski Statement Necklace, $1,290
5. Atelier Swarovski by John Nollet, ‘A Star Is Born’ Hair Clip
6. NCLA Nail Polish in Enchanted City, $23
7. Fendi Gold-Tone Resin Ring, US$335
8. Hunting Season Tula Velvet Shoulder Bag, US$475
9. Anna Sui Glittering Lipstick in 351, $32
10. Contempo Starburst Necklace, US$88
11. Rituel De Fille Forbidden Lipstick in Fortune Teller, US$24
12. Miu Miu Satin Embellished Pumps, $1,285
13. Zoe Ace Metal Broomstick Necklace, AUD92
14. Zara Lace-Up Velvet High Heel Ankle Boots, $45.90
15. Dorothy Perkins Silver Britney T-Bar Court Shoes in Silver, $76.90, from ZALORA
16. Valentino SS18 Rockstud Bag, POA
Just as we can’t stop bopping to some of Grease‘s best songs, we bet you can’t get enough of the vintage-inspired fashion too, especially when you’ve got casual separates as timeless and stylish as these. Summer nights are made for the breezy mint dress and a printed headband or two, while we’re also hopelessly devoted to coping the style of Rizzo, the coolest chick among the kids and also leader of the Pink Ladies. She gets the distinction of parading the now trendy red-on-pink combo before its runway debut, and clearly defined #squad goals before the term ever existed, with the casual sling of a pink satin jacket across her shoulders.
Who can forget Sandy though — and we mean, the new and improved Sandy only with her figure-hugging black tights, off-shoulder top and gold hoop earrings. We’re quite sure she’d be wearing one of Gucci’s signature belts — yep, the one that we all want — in this day and age. If you’re going for ironically huge hair though, don’t forget to spritz some hairspray for volume.
1. Jennifer Fisher Classic Hollow Gold-Plated Hoop Earrings, US$490
2. H&M Men Premium Cotton T-Shirt, $24.95
3. Annarita N Twenty 4H Biker Jacket, US$319
4. Vanessa Mooney Satin Choker With Gold Plated Chain, $34.48
5. Moschino Satin Bomber Jacket, 463 GBP
6. Helmut Lang Off-The-Shoulder Crop Top, €80
7. Topshop Tall Stretch Leggings, $76.90
8. Lily & Co. Mint Long Polka Dot Vintage Dress, US$46
9. GCDS, Satin ‘Hotel’ Tie Front Blouse
10. Gucci Leather belt with Double G buckle, US$350
11. Fendi Printed Silk-Twill Scarf, US$186
12. OUAI Texturizing Hair Spray, $39
13. Uniqlo Men Regular Fit Jeans, $59.90
14. Re/Done Originals The Short Raw-Hem Denim Shorts, $210
15. Melissa Mar Heels, $180
16. Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Leather Hi Unisex Sneakers, $119.90
17. Fenty Beauty Mattemoiselle Plush Matte Lipstick in Candy Venom, $28