Another year and another chance to up the ante with your nationalistic pride. No doubt it’ll be a sea of red and white this weekend, but how can you stand out so you’ll look fresh and cool?
You can start by tossing out that tacky “I LOVE SG” shirt you wore last year (and maybe even the year before) and check out how else you can show off in the most subtle or unique ways — by simply adding an accessory or two.
Yes, yes, we know National Day‘s all about the red and white but it doesn’t need to be plain and boring. Nothing screams national pride more than these uniquely designed Singaporean wear. Go a level deeper and rep your ‘hood with these specially designed Uniqlo tees.
#UTWEARYOURHOOD tees. $29.90 Adult, $24.90 kids
They are one part cheeky, another part creative, but very much Singaporean. Besides, with some purchases, such as the Lampost Project T-shirts and tote bags, you’ll even be giving back to society as profits are donated to the Singapore Association for Mental Health (SAMH).
1. independent market National Sports of Singapore T-Shirt. $28
2. QLOTHE HANNAH CROP LONG SLEEVE TOP, $45
3. rye front wrap linen long dress (red onion), $199
4. ying the label REMEMBERING MY CHILDHOOD DRESS, $329
5. reckless ericka PINAFORE SKIRT (PINK), $169
6. reckless ericka FULL CIRCLE CROPPED TOP (CASA HORTA), $139
7. the missing piece SIGNATURE WITH SLEEVES (RED), $205
8. HUGO Merlion T-Shirt, $99, limited to 350 pieces available at HUGO.
9. the lamppost project LAMPPOST T-SHIRT #4, $28
10. the lamppost project LAMPPOST T-SHIRT #11, $28
But if you’re looking for something more stylish yet still subtly showing off your SG pride, we’re giving you two reasons to check out these collections by Qlothe, Ying The Label and more. 1. They’re not overly conspicuous. 2. They’re not a one-and-done item. Rewear them on the weekends!
To celebrate Singapore’s 54th birthday, both G-SHOCK and Swatch have released limited edition timepieces designed by Singaporean artists.
1. SWATCH’S SINGAPORE TALE. $125
2. G-SHOCK x Sam Lo timepiece limited to 300 pieces at $299. Available at all G-SHOCK Boutiques (except IMM).
From old-school ice cream carts to the iconic dragon playground at Toa Payoh, Swatch’s “Singapore Tale” is nostalgic af. Newer landmarks like the Singapore Flyer and Gardens By The Bay also make an appearance. Designed by local artist Tan Zi Xi, this is a timepiece you’re going to want to flex on this weekend.
A G-SHOCK x Sticker Lady (aka Sam Lo aka SKL0) collaboration? You already know it’s going to be something. Based on the popular stealthy all-black model of GX-56BB, the watch’s custom band is inspired by Singapore’s melting pot of culture. You’ll find lightning bolts to camera lenses to dollar coins patterns on it. These are things that Sam observed to be a constant in this city’s never-ending pursuit of excellence. With only 300 pieces available, make sure you act fast.
Aljunied (all you need) to complete the national day look are accessories. No better time to parade your patriotic accessories than now.
1. BLITHE AND MERRY OVO Earrings with Tassels (CREAM), $52
2. GNOME & BOW Milton Mini Crossbody Clutch (Reversible). $248
3. SINGAPORE MEMORIES Aranda 1965 18ML EDP, $38
4. TRESSE zhi black, $85
5. Goldheart 999 gold notes, $38. limited to 500 pieces. available at goldheart.
6. THE LAMPPOST PROJECT lamppost tote bags, $28
7. HUGO Merlion Tote (redeemable with every purchase of HUGO Merlion T-Shirt). Available at HUGO.
8. klay.sg Ang Ku Kueh earrings, $8.90/pair
9. klay.sg Kueh Lapis earrings, $8.80/pair
10. klay.sg Durian earrings, $18.80/pair
With most of these created by home-grown companies, you’ll definitely be able to relate to these quirky pieces. Fun fact: did you know the beautiful Lamp Post Project’s tote bags are repurposed from recycled national day banners and flags? Not only that, they work with senior citizens and SAMH residents to design and create the bags. So you can look good while doing good, win-win!
If you’re a true blue Singaporean foodie then turn your appetite towards Klay.sg’s local food accessories. From ang ku kuehs to durians to kueh lapis, they’ve got it all. Just make sure you don’t eat them. They look disturbingly real! And if you’re looking to go all out, Goldheart’s celebrating Singapore’s birthday with their 999 gold notes (500 pieces only) that feature prominent landmarks. Can’t go wrong with gold!
If you’re out celebrating this weekend, you’ll definitely want to be in a pair of kicks that don’t leave your feet screaming at the end of the day.
Check out Under Armour’s Singapore edition of their HOVR Infinite Running shoes why not. Decked out in patriotic red and white colourway with Merlion inspired scale patterns, dance and sing to NDP songs in supreme comfort.
Under Armour HOVR Infinite Running Shoes Singapore Edition. Only 600 pairs released. Get it at $219 from Under Armour at Changi Airport, Funan, Orchard Central and Paragon. For more info, click here.